Calf Raise On A Dumbbell
How to perform exercise
- Hang on to a sturdy object for balance and stand on a dumbbell handle, preferably one with round plates so that it rolls as in this manner you have to work harder to stabilize yourself; thus increasing the effectiveness of the exercise.
- Now roll your foot slightly forward so that you can get a nice stretch of the calf. This will be your starting position.
- Lift the calf as you roll your foot over the top of the handle so that you get a full extension. Exhale during the execution of this movement. Contract the calf hard at the top and hold for a second. Tip: As you come up, roll the dumbbell slightly backward.
- Now inhale as you roll the dumbbell slightly forward as you come down to get a better stretch.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can also do these standing on the head of the dumbbell, using a large dumbbell that is wider.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Calves, and auxiliary muscles:
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Calf Raise On A Dumbbell» are among the best rated by athletes.