Dumbbell Seated One-Leg Calf Raise
How to perform exercise
- Place a block on the floor about 12 inches from a flat bench.
- Sit on a flat bench and place a dumbbell on your upper left thigh about 3 inches above your knee.
- Now place the ball of your left foot on the block. This will be your starting position.
- Raise your toes up as high as possible as you exhale and you contract your calf muscle. Hold the contraction for a second.
- Slowly return to the starting position, stretching as far down as possible.
- Repeat for your prescribed number of repetitions and then repeat with the right leg.
Variations: You can perform this exercise also with both legs at the same time as well as using a seated calf raise machine.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Calves, and auxiliary muscles:
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Dumbbell Seated One-Leg Calf Raise» are among the best rated by athletes.