Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extension
How to perform exercise
- To begin, stand up holding a barbell or e-z bar using a pronated grip (palms facing forward) with your hands closer than shoulder width apart from each other. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart.
- Now elevate the barbell above your head until your arms are fully extended. Keep your elbows in. This will be your starting position.
- Keeping your upper arms close to your head and elbows in, perpendicular to the floor, lower the resistance in a semicircular motion behind your head until your forearms touch your biceps. Tip: The upper arms should remain stationary and only the forearms should move. Breathe in as you perform this step.
- Go back to the starting position by using the triceps to raise the barbell. Breathe out as you perform this step.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: Another way to perform this exercise is to use dumbbells or a triceps blaster bar. You can also use cables with a bar or rope attachment.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Shoulders, and auxiliary muscles:
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Standing Overhead Barbell Triceps Extension» are among the best rated by athletes.